Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Knowing your why!! (Keeping Positive)


How many times have you tried to lose weight?  Two, three, ten times?  Even if you were motivated and on track, sometimes life gets in your way.    To avoid going off the rails, it’s important to “know your why”?  You have probably heard that before and if you were like me, ignored it…..

In my late thirties, I was 100 pounds overweight.  Changes needed to be made.  I reached into my competitive mode (just ask my friends) and I made it my business to lose weight.  It took me a year but I made it!  Because I never self-reflected on my reasons besides just to do it, I gained it back.  I was not prepared to keep my weight loss under control. 


Within a year, I gained it back.  It was disappointing and took me a long time to get my life back under control.    Over the years, I watched my close family being diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure and the dreaded kidney failure.

I knew it was time to lose weight.   This time I had the motivation of not wanting to spend the second part of life going to doctors, taking medication and having physical limitations.

Here are some tips I discovered over the years:

Make it personal

Can you think of anything you care enough about to flip your weight loss switch?
  • Raising your kids to be healthy
  • Loving and playing with your grandkids
  • Health reason (avoiding blood pressure/dreaded diabetes)
Accentuate the positive

Can you think of anything positive to flip your switch?

  • Feeling better
  • Moving better
Keep track of the benefits

Staying positive is also crucial once you have started your weight loss program.
  • Keep track of the good things you see happening as a result of your efforts.
  • Do you have more energy?
  • Are you sleeping better?
  • Finally fitting in clothes that were in the that back closet?
  • Do you feel better about yourself?
  • Has anyone complimented you on your appearance?
Never forget where you were

  • Keep pictures of your selves close at hand, and pull them out whenever you (or they) are tempted to go back to the old ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment